Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Would you enroll your child in an online school? Why or why not?

Hello all,
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I hope enjoy this post and please feel free to comment.

Lately, I have seen commercials for K-12 a tuition free online school. After so many times of seeing the commercial I decided to do my own research and the tuition free part really peaked my interest. I went to the website and they offer two different programs for students beginning at 3rd grade to the 12th grade. That makes sense to me, I think it would be difficult for smaller children to learn this way. At that age they will have all the basics, they are a little more disciplined and are able to sit and listen.

It looks like a good school, but I am not sure if it's something I would ever do. My concern would be my child lacking the social skills that are learned when interacting with his peers. I believe we learn a lot of life lessons when dealing with people that can only be learned through experience.  In my situation, my son is somewhat growing up as an only child so most of his social interaction is at school.  Even though he is too young for the program he really enjoys being around other children. I don't believe it would be an effective way for him to learn, he is an extreme extrovert. He will talk to any and everybody, he is very out going. I am working on that trait, making sure he does not talk to strangers when I am not around.

I am quite sure there are circumstances where this would be a good fit; such as, if your child is being bullied or if you child has special needs that are not being met by his school.  A lot of parents prefer to home school their children as they believe it will provide a better education for them.

As I stated before it would not work for me. I believe the social interaction with his peers is necessary and I would not want him to miss that. What are your thoughts? Would you enroll your child in an online school?



Marcee' Bonds
www.marceebonds.com
info@marceebonds.com
Like me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment