Sunday, April 10, 2016

Question of the week: How soon should I introduce someone to my kids?

Dear Marsay,

I have been thinking about getting back into the dating game and dating as a single mom is not easy. It can be harder because you have to find someone that is good for both you and your kids, which can be stressful. I want to know when is the best time to introduce your kids to someone you are dating?

Mary K.

Dear Mary K.,

Well you have asked a very good question. I know from personal experience it can be very hard to date as a single parent, but not impossible. I applaud you for wanting to get back out there and live your life dating, meeting new people and who knows you may meet that special someone. But, as you stated before you are a package deal and if a man is wanting more with you he has to accept your kids. But, how soon should he meet your children?

I say it depends on the relationship and if it's what you want and something you feel confident in. I would not do it before you know his true intentions. Are you in a committed relationship are you guys exclusive? If you are not sure about the status of the relationship, than you should not introduce your kids. I really can't put a time line on it because every relationship is different and some move faster/slower than others.

I believe you should have some discretion about it. I have seen situations where the children were introduced to every man their mother dated. I do not agree with or recommend this. I believe that every one you date should know you have kids, but your kids should not meet everyone you date. This is my rule to dating. I only introduced my children after the relationship grew and became exclusive and I was clear on where I stood.

I hope this helps but ultimately you will need to do what works best for you and your children. I wish you the best and good luck, the dating world is crazy.

Regards,

Marcee'

Like me on Facebook

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my website

No comments:

Post a Comment